Here are our top five tips to keep in mind if you or a loved one faces a new diagnosis.
Imagine this: you go to the doctor and are diagnosed with a serious illness or condition. What do you do now?
We get these calls often. Upon getting a new diagnosis, some people immediately conduct an extensive internet search of their particular condition to understand as much as they can. Others look to find the best doctor in that field or seek advice and recommendations from friends and family members. While finding the best doctor is important, it is just one step in a long journey towards health and wellness.
Here are our top five tips to keep in mind if you or a loved one faces a new diagnosis:
- Resist the urge to read too much information on the internet. It’s tempting, but it can just lead to more confusion and angst.
- Be careful who you get advice from. Seek trusted experts.
- Prepare a list of questions for your doctor. You’re more likely to get your questions answered if you come prepared.
- Have someone join you at the doctor’s visit. A friend, family member or health advisor can act as a second set of eyes and ears.
- Understand what your health insurance covers. Try to find doctors in network to maximize your coverage.