In these trying times, BHA recommends the following tips to help you survive the pandemic:
- Everything in moderation!
- Make it part of your daily routine
- A combination of resistance and cardio is ideal
- No fancy equipment needed...
- Walk outside if you can--keep your distance
- Make a list of your specific exercises and stick with them
- Never underestimate the power of just sitting still
- Find a quiet place in your home
- Deep breathing matters
- Find some meditation sounds online for freeY
- Meditate around the same time every day, preferably first thing in the morning
- Avoid "information overload" as in too much TV, or social media!
- Consume information only from trusted and reliable sources
- Focus every day on the things you can control, not the things that are out of your control
- Spend plenty of time on activities that take your mind off of everything else, e.g. cooking, reading, listening to music, puzzles, etc.
- Stay active and stick to a routine that gives your day structure
- Don't hesitate to share what's bothering you with someone that you trust
- Drink plenty of water just before you retire
- Make your bedroom as dark as you possibly can
- No TV, no laptop, no cell phone
- A hot shower or a warm bath must before bedtime is ideal
- Get in bed at roughly the same time every night
- Everyone should try to get 7 hours per night regardless of age
- Avoid the temptation to overeat because you’re not as active as you normally would be
- Make proteins a priority
- Stay hydrated...drink water as often as you can
- Go easy on the “simple carbs” which turn to fat quickly
- Fresh fruits and vegetables over highly processed foods if at all possible
- Don’t increase your intake of alcohol...try to maintain or reduce it
- Make mealtime a social occasion! No TV or cellphones!
For more COVID-19 information, check out the Better Health Advisors website.